Stay in touch with your customers through Email Marketing
With social media, blogs and SEO taking the spotlight, email marketing may seem like an old hat these days. However, email marketing can be one of the most effective marketing vehicles available to small business owners.
Benefits of email marketing
Email campaigns allow you to communicate directly with your customers, prospects and other fans of your business. Your email list is a valuable tool that you can use to communicate regularly with your contacts, be it to offer tips and advice, news about your business, special offers, promotions or events, or customer service announcements.
Beware of the pitfalls
There are some pitfalls to be aware of with email marketing. The most important one is to ensure that you do not spam. This includes making sure that the people on your email list have opted in to receive your communications or have an existing relationship with your business. You also need to provide an option to unsubscribe on every email you send.
Don’t overcommunicate – choose an email sending frequency that you believe your contacts will be happy with. Hint: Daily emails are rarely welcome. For most small businesses, weekly, fortnightly or monthly communications are more appropriate.
Top tips for successful email marketing
- Offer value and be relevant – your emails must be useful to your target audience. Try to follow the 80/20 rule where you offer valuable content 80% of the time and promote your business only 20% of the time.
- Keep it short – people need to be able to scan through your email quickly. Provide links to your website or blog to offer further information, rather than covering everything in the actual email.
- Choose your subject line wisely – many emails will never be opened, and that’s just part of the game. However, choosing an appealing subject line will entice more people to open your emails. Keep it real though: your subject line must reflect the actual content of your email!
- Use a design template that reflects your brand – make sure the email template includes your logo and branding, your colours and suitable images.
- Include a call to action – what do you want your recipients to do with the information you provide? Sign up for an event, buy a product, contact you for more information? Make sure you tell your contacts what action you’d like them to take.
Getting started with email marketing
There are many email campaign software tools available on the market. The most popular is currently MailChimp. It is easy to use and allows you to import your mailing list, create a design template and send regular campaigns. The best thing is, they offer a free plan to get you started!
If you need help with your email template design or need someone to send your email campaigns for you, enquire about our email marketing services.